UBC Global Health Initiative: Health Trek Nepal

Here is a look at first year students from the UBC MD Undergraduate program on their Flexible Enhanced Learning program. This is the team participating in Health Trek Nepal with the Global Health Initiative.

“Today we went to the Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Center (SIRC) which is a non-profit NGO that services all of Nepal and provides health care services and rehabilitation programs to spinal cord injury (SCI) patients. This organization has one doctor, Dr. Raju Dhakal (pictured with us), 1-2 residents, and 30 staff who care for up to 70 in-patients and also out-patients dialy. The organization is funded 30% by the hospitals and the other 70% funded through donations and fundraising. The care and services that this facility provides to SCI patients is phenomenal and helps integrate SCI patients back into their community. It was a true honour to meet Dr. Dhakal and to witness the amazing care they provide to patients and their family.”

– Talia Del Medico, Class of 2022

Learn more about the various international projects offered by the Global Health Initiative at UBC Global Health Initiative! 

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.